Inspirations for Living a Better Life
As we all set out with our New Year’s Resolutions to be thinner, richer, happier, or one would like to think we might want to be kinder and wiser people in 2012, I go back to the Dalai Lama's “Instructions for Life.” It was written years ago, but it inspires me each time I read it again. I always find that quotes and inspirational writings like these have a profound effect on my outlook towards life and also how I react to life. Occasionally I even remember that I don’t always have to react to what happens in life.
The Dalai Lama is a wonderful spiritual teacher so I am passing this list on, for all of us to think about as this New Year gets underway. Just imagine if everyone read this and took it to heart. Wow, what a different world it would be.
Instructions for Life by the Dalai Lama
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three R’s: Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
20. If you want to be happy, practice compassion