Add Some Spring to Your Step!
Now that the weather is (finally!) warmer it's the perfect time to add a little spring to your step! After being cooped up indoors all winter, being outside and getting some fresh air will do your body (and soul) some good. Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy spring outdoors with your friends & family.
Take a Walk - Experts say adults are suppose to walk an estimated 10,000 steps per day, however in recent studies, it has been found that people are only walking an average of 1,000 to 3,000 steps a day. Taking a walk not only helps you reach your daily fitness goal, but it is good for the mind and soul as well. Getting fresh air and enjoying the scenery can wash away a stressful day or give the perfect venue for a meaningful conversation. Here are some ideas of how to get those extra steps in this spring:
- Take your dog for a walk instead of just letting him out the back door. Your loved canine needs the increase in doggie steps too!
- Meet up with friends and take a walk around your neighborhood. Getting lost in conversation is the perfect way to add up those steps!
- Walk to the store. If your destination is close enough to walk to - go for it!
- Park at the back of the parking lot. Forget trying to snag the space closest to the entrance, those few extra steps will quickly add up.
- Take a walk around the block on your lunch break. Taking a short break from your desk will keep your body moving and your blood flowing. You will return to your desk ready to concur the rest of the day.
- If you are interested in keeping track of how many steps you take per day, pick up a pedometer or try one of the new health trackers like Fitbit, Nike, or the Up Band.
Take a Hike - Find a local trail in your area and go explore! Hiking is a great activity to do with a spouse, a friend, or family member. Bring a camera for some unforgettable pictures or a picnic for a rest along the way.
Bike Ride - Plan a date to ride a bike, it is a great activity to do with the kids, with a friend or in a group. If you don't own a bike, a lot of major cities have bike rentals that you can take advantage of. There are also group bike tours that you can join within your community and if you're feeling adventurous, join a U.S bike tour or travel overseas!
Plant a Garden - Spring is the perfect time to start a garden and believe it or not, it can even be a workout! After a day of digging and planting, you're going to be feeling the burn. You can plant your favorite flowers or even start your own fruit and vegetable garden. Fresh fruit and veggies are great to cook with during the summer and they taste fantastic, just make sure deer and wildlife don't get to them before you do!
Spring is such a great time of year, so try and take full advantage of the weather before it gets too hot. Your kids will enjoy spending time outdoors and so will you! What are your favorite spring activities?