It's National Chili Day: Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Sharon's Recipe: QUINOA WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
Sharon's Story: Quinoa White Chicken Chili is a delicious, family friendly, easy to make recipe. However for me, this recipe represents more than just that. It represents change and new beginnings... hmm trying to make the connection? Let me explain. I recently completed a 21 day detox/cleanse. I know that seems to be the craze lately. That along with gluten-free, vegan, paleo and I am sure many more eating plans. I have experimented with a few of them, been successful, lost weight, felt great...but when the program was over or I got bored it never stuck. I then came across a program called "Detox with a Purpose" created by Julie Felsher. It is a seasonal cleanse that is not just about the food, it is about you! It goes deeper than eating well, juicing, and making smoothies.
I wanted to share this because I feel this goes perfectly with Joan's vision and everything she has created at Camp Reveille. Joan has taught us as women the importance of taking care of ourselves, how to have fun and support each other. This is why many of us keep coming back to Camp Reveille, because we are craving this oasis. Julie was able to create this same environment with her program, so to me it seemed like a perfect fit. Everything in the chili recipe I was able to eat during my cleanse, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I hope everyone stays warm and I look forward to returning to the oasis of Reveille.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (~1/2 lime)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and jalapeno peppers and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, salsa verde, chicken, beans, quinoa and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the quinoa is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred or dice, return to soup along with the lime juice and cilantro, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement steps 1 & 2, place everything except the lime juice and cilantro in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours before continuing on with step 4.
Option: Add 1 cup zucchini along with the chicken.
Option: Add 1 cup corn 5 minutes before taking off the heat.
Option: Replace the jalapeno peppers with poblano peppers or 1 4.5 ounce can of diced green chilies.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 397, Fat 8g (Saturated 1g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 66mg, Sodium 693mg, Carbs 44g (Fiber 8g, Sugars 3g), Protein 42g