Healthy Brown Cakes
This past August at Camp Reveille, my women’s wellness camp in Naples, Maine, my campers got the chance to taste the delicious healthy dishes created by the talented Chef Michael De Berry. Since Reveille, I have been hearing great feedback from campers and staff asking for some Chef Mike recipes - so here is a tasty, healthy recipe for brown cakes from Chef Mike that is preservative, sugar, dairy and gluten free.
Brown Rice Cakes
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 ½ c. of water
- 2 tsp of kosher salt or sea salt
- ¼ c of whole kernel corn
- 1/8 c diced and roasted red & green pepper
- 1 ½ Tbsp of fine chopped cilantro
- 1/8 c of garbanzo beans- puree
- ¼ tsp of curry
- 1/8 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 pinches of allspice
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- ½ Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp dry basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pot combine the brown rice, luke warm water and the salt. Cook on medium heat.
- Mix all the dry spices together- making a seasoned mix.
- Puree garbanzo beans and fold in the corn starch- bonding agent
- When the rice is done, cool it until it is warm place in a mixing bowl. Best to work with a warm rice because it will starch a bit and bond with the bonding mixture.
- Add in the seasoned mix, in the corn, diced peppers, cilantro and once combined fold in the bonding mixture (garbanzo beans and starch). Let rest in the bowl for about 10 min.
- You can scoop with an ice cream scoop or spoon to form small, medium or large balls. lightly Oil a sautee pan or heated surface, slightly press into a patty and palace on a heated surface. You want to make sure as the patty holds together as it cooks and you press it with a metal spatula that the patty retains in shape and does not fall apart. Use one ball to ensure that the patty will hold its shape. If it holds it shape proceed to cook them all. If it does not hold it shape make and add a bit more corn starch (no more than 1 Tbsp to prevent increased starchy after taste)/ more garbanzo bean puree to reach desired consistency.
- Cook approximately 2-3 min per side on medium heat (added or decreased time or heat with desired browning)
- Serve with roasted veggies or protein or both of your choosing.