If you celebrate Passover then there's a good chance you're cooking today. Here are Passover recipes from our kitchen to yours...
Bubbe’s Perfect Firm Jewish Matzoh Balls, Kosher for Passover
Reveille Recipe from camper: Janet Penn
Reveille Camper in: 2008 - 2013
Makes 18-24 matzoh balls
- 1 cup Matzoh meal
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons melted schmaltz (chicken fat)
- 4 tablespoons water or 4 tablespoons broth
- Follow these instructions carefully
- Measure and mix dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Individually break the eggs into a clear glass, discarding any with blood spots, and then pour into a second bowl.
- Add oil or schmaltz (and water or broth for firm Matzoh balls) to the eggs and stir gently with a fork until the yolks are broken and the oil just mixed.
- Pour egg mixture into the dry mixture and gently mix with the fork.
- PLEASE DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil on the stove.
- After Matzoh ball mix has set, gently remove teaspoon fills of the batter and roll into 1"-2" balls and drop into the water.
- When all the balls are in the water leave it to boil until all the balls float to the top, then lower the temperature to a rolling simmer for 40 minutes and your Matzoh balls will be ready.
- PLEASE DO NOT STIR AT ANY TIME.
- The Matzoh balls may be removed from the water with a slotted spoon and served in soup.
Lou Lou's Matzoh Farfel Kugel
Reveille Recipe from campers: Louise Weinberg & Shanna Weinblatt
Reveille Camper in: 2013
- 2 cups matzoh farfel
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 Tbs salt
- 4 Tbs cottage cheese 1%
- 2 oz. light cream cheese
- 1 cup scalded milk (put milk on high heat and pull off as soon as it starts to boil)
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cover matzoh farfel with boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes
- Mix all ingredients together in an oven to table casserole. Do not cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until browned.
Grandma Joie's Beef Brisket
Reveille Recipe from: Lindsay Weinberg
This recipe is from my dad's mother Grandma Joie who was the best cook! The recipe got passed around and to this day our family friends make it and now I make it for my husband!
- 1st cut brisket
- 13 x 9 roasting pan
- 2 packages french onion soup mix (boil w 1 cup water)
- 1 bottle heinz chili sauce
- Ginger snap cookies
- 1 quart ginger ale (and or dollop beer)
- Onions, Carrots, Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Cut up yellow onions, carrots, red potatoes and put in big pot
- Pour the soup mix over the brisket
- Pour the chili sauce over the brisket
- Layer ginger snap cookies over the brisket
- Pour the ginger ale gently over the brisket
- COVER and cook for 1.5 - 2.5 hours:
- Cook for 30 minutes at 425°F
- Then turn down to 350°F 1.5 hours
- Take the brisket out and slice it AGAINST the grain, then return the slices back into the juices
- Add liquid if needed, liquid should still be covering it