NYCfitfam’s Carrot Zucchini Bars with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting
We love sweets, but always make sure that our indulgences are packed with wholesome ingredients. We love these Carrot & Zucchini Bars because they provide a great way to sneak in your veggies while still indulging a little!
INGREDIENTS - BARS:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrot
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup cooking oil
- ¼ cup agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate semi-sweet chocolate chips
INGREDIENTS – CITRUS CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 eight-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar (or if you’re trying to cut calories, grind Splenda & cornstarch in a blender instead)
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- Frosting Prep: In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar (or substitute) with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add orange peel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda.
- In another large bowl stir together egg whites, carrot, zucchini, brown sugar, raisins, walnuts, apple sauce, agave, vanilla, and chocolate chips.
- Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring until combined.
- Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes and allow to cool completely
- Frost with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting. Cut into bars.
- Makes 36 bars.